Love, Stargirl, by Jerry Spinelli. Yep, I loved Stargirl so much I had to go out and buy the sequel. This one is written from Stargirl's perspective, as a letter to Leo, so you get more of a sense of who she is, not just who she looks like to outsiders. She's just as wonderful as she is in the original, but she also shows her vulnerabilities, which I loved. It makes her more real. Now I can't decide if I want a third in the series or if I want to come up with my own happily ever after for her. Hmm, either way, she's going to live on in my memory for a long time.
Cold Sassy Tree, by Olive Ann Burns. I had a really hard time getting into this one. First of all, the dialect is hard to read. I don't mind a bit of dialect here and there, but when an entire book is written that way, it tends to drive me nuts. It forces me to read every word slowly, which is what I do at work all day, not when I'm reading for pleasure. Second, nothing much happened for the first half of the book. It's a nice little portrait of a small Southern town in the early 1900s, but that's about it. However, I liked the characters and I'm glad I kept reading for their sakes, because the last third of the book was quite enjoyable.
That's all for this month. Oh, except one more thing. I will never be able to get through Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows without half a box of tissues. Seriously, I get way too emotionally attached to that wizard.
No comments:
Post a Comment