Sunday, September 5, 2010

Swimming with the Boys

Since Richard and Megan decided to celebrate their 10th anniversary by going on a cruise for a week and a half, I got to spend a lot of time with my nephews during the first two weeks of August. The boys are the greatest nephews in the world, but when I'm with them for a few days, they completely tire me out with their constant questions, their arguing, and their ability to create spectacular messes. Sometimes I just needed a break, so we went swimming a few times. This might not sound like a break, but it was. The swimming pool is a happy, magical place that turns four hooligan boys into the angels I know they are. Seriously, they even pretend to like each other for a few hours.


When Max was saying his prayers on the night I left, he prayed that I wouldn't be lonely when I wasn't with them all the time (see, I told you they were the greatest nephews in the world). The first day I was back full-time in my own house, I didn't miss the noise. Or the messiness. Or trying to figure out something to make for dinner that everyone would eat and would be at least a little bit healthy. The second day, I kind of did. I also missed getting hugs when I walked in the door, building forts out of blankets and couch cushions, and having Sean play with my fingers while he drank his bedtime bottle. And I got a little bit lonely. Then I thought about how lucky I am to have such a fabulous family who live so close and who let me be a part of their lives. So I invited them to come swimming at my place.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Being an aunt is one of the greatest things to be!

Nicole said...

This is very sweet, and your pictures are super. I had no idea you were being a full-time aunt during those two weeks! Busy, busy!!! (Hey, is that the Farmington pool?)

Katrina said...

Yes, that's the Farmington pool. It's a great place for little people.