We all know I'm not a morning person (and if you don't know that, you haven't been reading this blog for very long). But when I have to, I can usually try to make myself look presentable and kind of act like I'm awake even when there's no hope of a coherent thought running through my brain. One morning a few weeks ago I thought I was faking it rather well, but when I got on the elevator at work, somebody said, "Wow, you look tired." Wow, thanks for that. I guess there's no use even trying to fake it then.
Contrast that with last Wednesday morning. I wasn't even trying to fake it. It had been a very bad Tuesday, and a crappy night's sleep hadn't improved things at all. But when I was walking down the hall, headed to my office in a daze, I ran into someone I hadn't seen for a while. He told me I looked great, asked what I had been doing to lose weight, and invited me to have a nice day (in a quiet voice—very important for us non-morning people). My attitude instantly improved. I wasn't completely ready to face the day, but at least I was working my way out of a more contented haze than I had been before our conversation. Ah, the power of a kind word.
2 comments:
Isn't it amazing how the words of others can affect us this much?! I have been thinking about this a lot lately.
That is so true that is why I say smile(even if you don't feel like it) and others will smile even strangers and it makes the time much better. Katrina I love the way you put your feelings in words I expect a book sometime by you. :)
Post a Comment