Monday, July 20, 2009

Days at the Zoo

I got to spend the last two weekends watching my three oldest nephews while their parents were on vacation. They're great kids, and we had a lot of fun. But I also learned a few things. First, it's great to be the cool aunt but not great at all to be the mean babysitter who makes kids go to sleep in their own beds and have only two Otter Pops—and only after dinner. Second, moms are amazing. OK, I knew that one already, but I learned it again. I wonder if it's less chaotic or less tiring once you get used to it. Or maybe you don't really get used to it; it just becomes your reality.

Hmm, maybe someday I'll be blessed to find out. See, even with all the chaos and the worrying and the poopy pull-ups, there's still nothing I want more. Because along with all of stress comes snuggles during late-night (meaning after 8:00) movies, a sweet "Love you" when you're tucking them in bed, and pipe-cleaner hearts they made just for you. And sometimes you get to have fun and crazy days at the real zoo, not just the zoo at home.

1 comment:

Cassavaugh Family said...

Carter just needs longer arms and he will be a Gorilla. So if you ever find yourself wanting another zoo experience feel free to visit us. I will gladly give you another opportunity to be mom for a weekend. I think the pipe cleaner hearts must be so cute. Good job - best Aunt! There was a day when I think I was the favored Aunt to some really cool nieces and nephews. That was a fun time!