Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?

July has always been my favorite month. It's at the height of summer, there are two holidays to celebrate, and it's my birthday. When I was a kid, it meant staying up late, eating popsicles, going on vacation, and not worrying about either the school year that just ended or the one that was coming up. It was a month to celebrate freedom and heritage and lazy summer afternoons.

I had Friday off from work, so Friday and Saturday came close to those lazy days I used to enjoy so much. I went hiking, had a Rainbow Snow (although I decided not to go for the bubble-gum flavor I loved when I was eight), had a barbecue, stayed up late watching fireworks, went to a parade, saw a movie, and had a lazy afternoon/evening in the park. It was spectacular. If only the whole month could be like that. All the world is green, and it's waiting to be explored and enjoyed. And I'm left spending way too much of my time at work wishing I could be lazily dreaming on the banks (or the beach) as the clouds go by, swimming in a pool, drinking lemonade, and counting all the stars in the sky. Thank goodness for golden summer evenings.

P.S. For those of you who have forgotten your Primary songs, "Oh, What Do You Do in the Summertime?" was always one of my favorites.

1 comment:

Cassavaugh Family said...

It was my favorite song too!