Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Making Salsa (I'm So Domestic)

Last year Megan made some fabulous salsa that, thanks to her generosity, we all enjoyed at various family gatherings all year. This year I decided that I needed some for myself, so I enlisted her help—and the help of a new food processor, because who's going to chop up all those vegetables by hand? Not me. By the way, there goes another thing off my list of kitchen appliances I thought I'd never have to buy because I'd get them all for my wedding. That list is getting shorter all the time. If I ever do get married, all that will be left is ice cube trays, and I don't even need those because my fridge makes its very own ice. Sigh.

Anyway, I chopped up all my vegetables on Friday night (I know, what a way to spend a Friday night—no wonder I'm never going to get wedding presents) and made my house smell like peppers and onions. Then on Saturday Megan graciously let me stink up her house so we could cook it all up and put it in jars. Aren't they pretty? I feel so domestic.


Then I went and bought a bag of tortilla chips, and I've since consumed a half a bottle of the goodness in half a week. Well, at least it's healthier than the candy corn and Halloween M&Ms I've been devouring for a month, right?

4 comments:

Becky said...

Mmm. That does look and sound tasty. I think you're being very domestic. I'd even come put a ghost in your salsa if you like.

meg 'n' rich said...

Look how pretty those cans look! So proud of us! I have to say, I'm impressed you've only gone through 1/2 a jar. We've polished of 3 JARS worth in this house! Plus, I've given 3 away! That means I'm down to... uh, well 6 less than I started with. I can't remember how many I ended up with. Oh well, you get the picture. I may need to make a double batch next year! I am afraid this one won't make it past 6 months!
Hope you're enjoying it!!!

meg 'n' rich said...

Oh, and by the way... I think we will both need a bigger stock pot at some time in our lives. That way we don't have to steal Holly's all of the time. So, you can add that one to your wedding list. :)

Cassavaugh Family said...

Anyone want to share the recipe? We go through so much salsa and tomatoes I say every year that is all we will plant. We attempt every year and the results are always pitiful. I have made salsa twice this year with the last batch being my favorite. But I'm always on the look out for a great recipes. Pleas share! Wish I lived closer, I don't have all the equipment do do such a project. :( I didn't put it on my wedding list. But even if I had it would have either been ruined by now just didn't make it through a move. :)