Book of a Thousand Days, by Shannon Hale. I enjoy Shannon Hale's books, and this one was no exception. It's not a life-changing read, but it's well written and entertaining, a book I would be happy to recommend to any tween girl (unlike those other books by a more famous but much less talented Mormon author—shut up! We know Edward's gorgeous—OK, short rant over). I love how she describes the characters' feelings in a way that's completely true to the character but at the same time completely universal. Good stuff.
I know some of you have wondered how I can read all day at work and then come home and read at night to relax. Well, here's my secret: I can't. When I spend the majority of my day doing substantive editing, being creative, and working with other people, I come home and read. When I spend most of the day copyediting or proofreading, which consists of me staring at pages and pages of text and willing myself to stay awake and concentrate, I come home, turn on the TV, and watch reruns of The Office and Friends for an hour so my brain can calm down. Then I get out a book I know and love so well that I can read it without thinking about it and still get swept away to another place. I spent a lot of time at Hogwarts last month.
2 comments:
Hogwarts is a great place to spend your time, so that's okay.
You read all the same books as one of the ladies in my book club. I just got Goosegirl by Shannon Hale. Hope it's good, it came highly recommended.
Post a Comment