Monday, January 11, 2010

New Year's Toys

New Year's Day is my least favorite holiday of the year. Yep, it's even worse than Valentine's Day. The problem is that I get all emotional about how yet another year has gone by and my life is still nothing like how I imagined it would be. (I avoid this kind of thinking around my birthday by planning exciting events that will happen sometime around July 21 so I can celebrate without thinking too hard about what I'm celebrating. But there's never anything exciting going on in January.) It's not that I dislike my life; it's just that I realize how bored I am with it. Usually when I feel that way, I make myself feel better by eating ice cream or drinking hot chocolate. If food doesn't help, I go book shopping or shoe shopping. That usually does the trick. But then there are the times when not even a stack of new books or a really great pair of shoes will fix what's wrong. That's usually when I start planning vacations.

All last week I spent my lunchtimes on travel Web sites—New York, Disneyland, Alaskan cruises, anywhere with a beach—but since I have no definite plans, that just made me more depressed. OK, I'm going to Denver for two days in June, and it will be quite fabulous, but I'll be spending all my time at either the hotel or the stadium, so there's not much planning to be done. What's a girl to do?

I decided I needed something to do when I get home from work and feel so lethargic all I want to do is plop my big bum in front of the TV. And maybe if I exercise I won't feel so lethargic. "That's it!" I said to myself. "I'll buy myself an elliptical machine!" So I did. I only swore three times while I was putting it together too, which is quite an accomplishment. "But wait," a little voice inside my head said. "You hate running. It's mind-numbingly boring. This is really just running indoors. Why do you think this shiny new machine sitting in your guest bedroom is going to make you have a sudden change of heart?" Hmm, good question. Which is why I also bought this:


Yep, I bought a TV so I would stop spending so much time on my bum in front of the TV. Completely logical. And today I only spent half of my lunch break looking at travel sites.

And just to be clear, my purchases have absolutely nothing to do with new year's resolutions, which are the eternal black hole of goals. My "Resolutions Schmesolutions" scheme worked quite well last year, so I'm sticking with it.

3 comments:

Becky said...

I think I wrote this blog, Katrina. Well, except I haven't recently purchased any ellipticals or TVs. I wish you the best of luck with your new items, and I definitely think a vacation is in order.

Cassavaugh Family said...

Well I might say those are two very nice presents - YEAH!! I actually think we have something in common even though it might not seem like it. I spend time on the internet dreaming of buying things or going on real vacations. However, I can't because my life is not what I expected it to be either. Just in a different way. Years of sacrifice and pain and suffering of grad school to create the long awaited goal of financial comfort (OK happiness in doing a job that is fulfilling is in there too) at a much too old age to enter this rat race. HA No one cares about education and research etc. They care about football. WOW now I sound like I'm on a soapbox. Yup. Sorry.

On another note. Can I just say that if you ever want a vacation you can plan one for Michigan. It might not sound all that exciting but let me tell you... we have a lot of water around us with lots of beaches (and cool lighthouses). It may not be the ocean or aruba but it can be cool none the less. OH that could have two meanings as well. It can get chilly on the beach in August. But nothing like making a firepit and roasting marshmallows on the beach while the sun still bakes and burns you and the breeze freezes you in height of summer. OH and the hotel in Mt Pleasant is free!

Grandma B said...

My life is somewhat what I expected and yet I can still get bored with it. I guess the moral of the story is that the grass is always greener where you aren't. I say enjoy that eliptical and TV! Plan a vacation, go on it, and post a blog about it with plenty of pics so I can enjoy the funspot from my big bum plopped in front of my computer!