Before I went to Hawaii a few years ago, I decided that I was going to find a nice souvenir on my vacation—a man to bring home with me. Good idea, right? Even if he didn't want to come home with me, I'd have a really good excuse to visit Hawaii again. Yep, I had it all planned out. Too bad it didn't quite work the way I'd imagined. Sure, I saw some very fine men, one of whom was my surfing instructor, but he was taken. I got my picture taken with some rather handsome Polynesian men, but they were posing with all the girls at the luau, so I decided to ditch them. No Hawaiian man for me.
But then I decided to go to Ireland last year. Sweet! An Irishman! Well, I had a very cute guy's very drunk friend ask me to join him for drinks, but since I figured he wouldn't remember anything about me the next morning, I decided to say no and stay sober. I thought maybe I'd find a nice Mormon boy at church (and he wouldn't be drunk—well, at least I hoped not), but alas, no luck.
So the search goes on. I'll be in Alaska later this year. Maybe an Alaskan man? Hmm, not as fabulous as a man from Hawaii or Ireland, but a man nonetheless. My friends and I decided earlier this week that we're going to go to a lumberjack show, which is supposed to feature log-rolling and ax-throwing and other games of all-out manliness. So there you go: I'm gonna bring me home a lumberjack!
3 comments:
I went to a lumberjack show at the fair. The men were 50+ years old and had scraggly beards. But the ax throwing was great. :) Go for an Alaskan man--dog sledding, ice fishing, polar bear racing... am I stereotyping?
I hope we bring home three lumberjacks. As long as they don't snore like lumberjacks.
You know Maine = Lumberjacks. Since I spent half my mission in one area in upstate Maine I saw some lumberjack activity. I'm thinking of 3 specific things and will give a word rating to each one:
1) There was a big lumberjack competition that we attended to "be in the community". (hottest)
2) My companion and I became honorary members of the Knights of the Lumberjack society! (funnest)
3) On our way to pick up the Elders who lived an hour north of us, further into the middle of nowhere we passed a sign for a church I will never forget. Didn't see a church, just a sign pointing into the woods. "Christ for the Lumberjack church". (strangest)
I have pictures to back all but the church name. I don't think we ever stopped to take that picture. Should have. OK enough of the Maine lumberjack memories.
I think you will have lots of fun at the lumberjack show!!
Post a Comment