Thursday, April 8, 2010

Raise a Twinkie

Thirteen years ago today, on what would have been my dad's 45th birthday, our family held our first Twinkie toast in his honor. My aunt had made a bouquet of Twinkies for his funeral (I wish I had a picture—it was brilliant), so on his birthday we went to the cemetery, took one "flower" each, raised them in his honor, clinked them together like they were goblets, and ate. In the ensuing years, Twinkies have shown up on the tree we made for the Festival of Trees, as favors at my brothers' wedding luncheons, and always on April 8. I'm not quite sure why the Twinkie has become Dad's symbol, but it has. I guess part of it's because Twinkies are something tangible; you can't just dial up his sense of humor, for example. But we can celebrate his love for us and our love for him by enjoying something he loved while he was here. So here's to you, Dad. Happy birthday, and I hope there are Twinkies in heaven.

2 comments:

Polly by Golly said...

What a beautiful tribute to your Dad. Thank you Katrina oh how he loved Twinkies. Frozen were the best. Love to all

Cassavaugh Family said...

We had twinkies in his honor on the 8th! I KNOW there are pictures of that bouquet somewhere. I don't now if any of us took pictures at the cemetery. All I kept thinking is what do these people think who live in the house closest to the fence there. :) I love my family!