His name is Skiffy, and today's his birthday. My parents gave him to me before my first skating competition, and he's been with me ever since. Unlike Woody, Skiffy never got stuck in a toybox. He's been everywhere with me—Ireland, Hawaii, England, New York, and every other fantastic (or not so fantastic) place I've ever spent the night. Yep, he even came to camp when I was in Young Women. And he's had a few adventures of his own on our travels. In Alaska he made friends with a few towel animals and Skippy the sea otter.
And when I was in Disney World, one night I came back from a day at the park to find him sitting on top of the remote control watching the Disney Channel.
When I was little, I knew Skiffy was real. Every morning he was in a different place in my bed from where he had started the night before—how could he not be real? I gave him birthday parties, read him stories, and told him my secrets. Now his eyes are faded, his stitching is coming out, he will never be white again, and he usually stays in the same place in bed all night (it helps that I have a bigger bed now). But he's still always there for me, no matter what. And you can't ask for a better, more loyal toy than that.



4 comments:
I think I had the very same little Pound Puppy as Skiffy - his name was Sugar. I'm afraid he wasn't as loved as Skiffy. I reserved that honor for Calico the cat, though she never has been on trips since she's a bit bigger than Skiffy and since I was the kind of child who likes most of her toys kept pristine. Unfortunately, my nieces and nephews have made her more ragged than I ever did.
I love how Skiffy gets to travel the world and meet friendly sea otters and towel animals.
Yes you always brought Skiffy to our house you were a very good care taker. :)
I haven't seen Skiffy forever! Love this.
Post a Comment