It's that time of year when I start spending way too much time browsing travel sites. I like winter, so that's not the problem. I even have a few short trips planned—a long weekend in New York and a few U2 concerts—so that's not the problem. The problem is that I start getting antsy when I don't have a long getaway planned. In Katrina World, a long getaway consists of going somewhere on an airplane, being away for at least a week, and not caring that I've forgotten what day it is. It's even better if it's to a place I've never been and I have to use my passport. The last time that happened was last May, so it's high time I get planning.
Italy was on my list for 2011, but unless there's a great deal on Vacations to Go, I don't think that's going to happen. Ooh! How about Australia? That sounds fabulous. Yep, fabulous and just as expensive as an African safari. Israel? Nope, not with what's going on in Egypt. Hmm, there's always somewhere in the United Kingdom. I could go for my birthday! Too bad flights to the UK in July are hovering around $1500 right now. A Caribbean cruise? That has potential—if my tax refund is ginormous. I finally realized that I was driving myself crazy, so I decided to just let myself enjoy life as it happens—enjoy the short trips I have planned and not worry so much about where I'm going next. Ah, calm. But then this showed up in the mail:
This lovely magazine included articles about Tuscany, London, and the Caribbean. I think the travel gods are mocking me.

3 comments:
No, the travel gods are not mocking, they're just calling for action! Time for a vacation!
Vacations to Go? Are you becoming a cruiser? Somehow I had always thought you were more of a back roads kind of gal...
Find a buddy who can drop everything and go last minute with you, and then just go wherever happens to be cheapest within a one- or two-month window (I got to France for $300 RT and England for $229 RT by traveling that way--yes, within this decade). Forget Europe during the summer...but I think you know this.
Good luck. I hope you enjoy the travel you have planned and any that serendipitously happens for you (I'm a bit envious because Bear Lake is the furthest we'll get away from home this year).
Dream on and have fun doing it. Enjoy while you can life can change so quickly :)
Post a Comment