Sunday, April 10, 2011

What I Learned from the Dork at Conference

If any of you haven't seen the video of the guy who turned around and grinned at the camera after the last session of general conference (either because, like me, you had started your Sunday afternoon nap by that time or because none of your friends shared it on Facebook), go to YouTube and search for "smiling guy at general conference." Done? OK, now you can continue reading.

This guy is my new hero. He's a total dork, but he's also my hero. Conference broadcasts are so very, very controlled. I was in the control booth at the Conference Center on the Friday before conference, and they were testing how the flowers behind the pulpit looked on camera from every angle with people of varying heights. Yeah, they don't leave anything to chance. I guess that's a good thing for the most part; it's nice to not be distracted by an orange flower growing out of someone's head. But some of the best conference moments are the unscripted parts, where you get to see the General Authorities as real people.

This guy's antics reminded me that members of the Church are also real people. We're not all proper and solemn all the time—and we shouldn't be. There's a place for everyone, whether you're a dork who likes grinning into cameras or a rock 'n' roll rebel who hates skirts.

1 comment:

Polly by Golly said...

OK you got me spring skiing is OK I just wish it would stay up there and not on my yard I really would like to see something else but white. Yes I did see the guy who turned around and had a big smile at the camera I'm sure he had fun doing that after sitting for more than 2 hrs.