Friday, March 7, 2014

Little Things

I have been having some serious issues with my life lately—mainly that there are very large parts of it that I don't like, and I can't figure out a way to fix them. I won't go into details, but the things I can't fix have become huge monsters that have slowly been taking over all the other aspects of my life, and I've felt myself spiraling downward for a few months now. Yes, I can escape in Zumba, but I can't Zumba forever (dang it). Looking at life as a whole has become way too overwhelming, so I've learned to focus on and be grateful for little things, like strawberries and Nutter Butters in chocolate marshmallow fondue—and friends to share them with. Mmm. And every single person who comes to my Zumba class, even if they don't make any noise. And the chance I had to teach Zumba Kids to my mom's second graders. They were awesome!

And then there are the sunsets I see from my back door, the lazy Saturday morning when I just stayed in bed and read a book and enjoyed the sunshine streaming through my window, the note my friend's kids made me welcoming me home from the Spartan in Arizona, and the picture my sister-in-law sent me of my nephew on his birthday. And then there were these:

I can count on one hand the number of times someone has bought me flowers. A friend gave me these on Valentine's Day, along with dinner and a movie at her house with her and her family. They literally made my whole month.

So even though I still can't make any sense out of my life—or even think about it at any great length without dissolving into despair—at least I have one way to keep myself from jumping off a cliff: remembering that there are good things to stick around for, no matter how small they seem.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Katrina, you are one of the most amazing people I know. You're too fully awesome for your own good. :) I love the Zumba Kids photo--what fun that must have been! Maybe it's time to get back to work on that goal over there in your profile and pick a corner of the world to visit. I haven't seen many "travel for the sake of travel" posts from you lately!

P.S. I LOVE the Spartan pictures in the post below. You rock! What an accomplishment! Seriously, the barbed wire shot makes you look like pretty bad a$$. Love it.