Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Ugh

This is a picture of my office at work:
Now, I don't really like being at work, but since I do have to pay my bills, I go. And this isn't a bad place to work. In fact, it's rather nice, and I wouldn't mind it at all if I could go in my sweats. It has very nice walls I can cover with things that make me happy, an excellent amount of desk space and storage (most of which isn't in the picture), and a beautiful, fabulous, magnificent door. See, in case you weren't already aware of this, I'm an editor. And what's the one thing an editor needs to do her work? Yep, that's right: peace and quiet.

But starting in just over two weeks, this will be my space, and I'll be sharing it with all the other editors on my team:
No, unfortunately this is not a very unfunny April Fool's joke. This is serious. When you start seeing all sorts of weird errors in Church publications in the near future, you'll know why: Katrina and all of her editing buddies are working in hell (at least hell for an editor). Anybody want to make a bet on how long it takes before I go postal?

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Is this how the "Father's Room" sign came to be? A distracted editor? That layout is just... NO. NO NO NO. Will you and your desk buddy put tape down the center of the shared desk space?

Nicole said...

Unbelievable. I remember when the worry was that editors would be put in cubicles, without office doors to help keep out distractions.This is so far beyond that, I can't even imagine how you all are supposed to get any actual work done. So who gets the little peninsula in the middle of each station? This is going to be one unholy mess.

You know, I had kind of kept in the back of my mind that maybe I could get my old job back when the little girl got a little older and in school. Now I'm thinking probably not...

Becky said...

Oh, I feel your pain, since my office looks quite a lot like the one in the bottom picture. Here are a few survival tips:
Headphones. Except they won't be at all helpful when you need silence to concentrate. But they actually won't prevent your coworkers from talking to you.
Conference rooms. If you need to make a personal phone call from work, such as scheduling an appointment with your doctor, find a seldom-used conference room with a door so your coworkers don't need to know that much about your body. This is extremely inconvenient but is the only possible solution.
Fake plants. Line the edges of your cubicle with tall fake plants so you can pretend you have a privacy barrier. Or so you can peek out between your plants and pretend you're a wild jungle animal hunting prey.
Take your vitamins. When your poor coworkers come to work sniffling, you're going to catch whatever they have since their faces will only be three feet away from yours all day. But hey, you have lots of sick time, right?
YouTube. Since the collaborative cubicle makes concentrating on your work extra difficult, why even bother? Find some funny clips online and start distracting all your fellow editors. It's hard to resist leaving your work to go see what your buddy the next desk over is watching online. You guys can have lots of bonding time while wasting time.
Become a morning person. Even if no one feels like it, everyone feels obligated to greet each other when they arrive in the morning.

And most of all, good luck. It won't be all bad, but it mostly will suck. Even when you like your coworkers.