Saturday, June 28, 2014

Ah, Venice

OK, if you're just starting to read about my Italian adventure, do me a favor: go the post titled "A Taste of Italy," and then work backward. It'll make much more sense that way. And yes, there are a ton of pictures, so you'll be scrolling down for a while.

Now, on to Venice. First we'll get a few obligatory vacation shots: me with a cannon, my happy feet, and a most excellent photo bomb:



 
OK, now on to Venice. Everybody's seen Venice in pictures and in movies, but you know what? It's true: the canals are the streets. I know, duh! But it's very, very cool in real life. We started off our Venetian adventure with a gondola ride, which was my second-favorite memory of the whole trip. Definitely another bucket list item.
 
We saw glass blowers, I bought Venetian glass earrings and Christmas presents (but nothing too extravagant since I had already blown my budget), and I saw my mom spend more money on lace than I ever imagined she could spend in one place. Go Mom! The lace store was just across this rather picturesque bridge:
 
We visited St. Mark's Square, the doge's palace, and Rialto Bridge; tried to get lost in the maze of streets; and found my Italian boyfriend lounging in his gondola.

 
 
And I found one of my favorite sculptures of the trip. I call it Hercules Killing a Pigeon. You didn't know that was one of his labors, did you?
 
After more wandering, shopping, and gelato eating, it was time to go home. Very sad. But I'm so happy I got to go (finally! This trip has only been four years in the making) and thrilled I got to share my adventures with two wonderful people. Until next time.
 

No comments: