
The hope and joy and love of the Christmas season culminate, for me, when my family lights candles at the cemetery on Christmas Eve. Because of the first Christmas, there is the promise that I will see and live with and love my family forever. The music, the lights, the presents, the decorations are all wonderful, but they would be meaningless without that knowledge. I think President Hinckley said it best:
"There would be no Christmas if there had not been Easter. The babe Jesus of Bethlehem would be but another baby without the redeeming Christ of Gethsemane and Calvary, and the triumphant fact of the Resurrection. . . . Our joy at this season is because He came into the world. The peace that comes from Him, His infinite love which each of us may feel, and an overwhelming sense of gratitude for that which He freely gave us at so great a cost to Himself—these are of the true essence of Christmas."
Merry Christmas everyone.
2 comments:
Thank you Katrina for that timely reminder. Merry Christmas.
What a great post. I didn't know or maybe just forgot of your family tradition at the cemetery. That connection is wonderful and thanks for making me cry. :) I have particularly missed my dad the last couple of days. I don't remember that quote from Pres Hinckley. What a wonderful way to put those thoughts into words. Thanks so much for sharing.
Post a Comment