Sunday, March 8, 2009

The Trouble with Bookstores

I have once again run out of space on my bookshelves. This happens way too regularly, although a few years ago (after I got my own place and wasn't trying to stuff all my books into one little room) I did start buying bigger bookshelves, so it doesn't happen quite as often as it used to. I blame the bookstores. Now, this is not a tirade against bookstores; they're still by far my favorite type of store. But do they have to make it so easy to leave with way more than the one book I went in for?

Yesterday I went to my local Barnes & Noble to get the next book we're reading in one of my book groups (I'm in two—see, I have more than one obsession). First, it took me a half-hour just to get past the magazines. Then I walked to the back of the store, picked up the book I went for, and then proceeded to take another hour to make it back to the front of the store. And I didn't just peruse the books; I picked up two other ones to buy. Sheesh. Then, before you actually make it to the register, you have to pass through the bargain book aisles and the displays of bookmarks. Sheesh again. I was quite proud of myself for getting out of the store with only three books—until I got out to my car and remembered I had come for one.

At least I'm not as bad as my mom. I went to her house after visiting the bookstore, and she told me about a book she wanted to get. I told her she already had it. She didn't believe me, so I went in to her overflowing bookshelves and found it in a row of books that was hidden behind another row of books on the same shelf. Maybe she needs a new bookshelf more than I do, although I'm well on my way to having just as crowded a library as she does. Darn those bookstores!

6 comments:

Becky said...

Oo, oo, what's your book group reading? I'm always in need of new book ideas.
I can sympathize with your plight. I've learned to curb my book-buying appetite as I have absolutely nowhere to put books. That's one of the reasons I so badly want to move - I need an office/library!
At any rate, I'm glad you were able to save your mom from making an unneeded book purchase.

Mae said...

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I rarely visit bookstores for that very reason. But I HAD to make a trip yesterday, and I HAD to take the kids. My mistake. Caleb loves the "Biscuit" books. We spent a half hour trying to pick JUST ONE. Of course, if I buy something for Caleb I have to buy something for Noni. There went another half hour. Geesh! Oh well, there could be worse vices.

Grandma B said...

You really should share what your book groups are reading. I am in need of good ideas! Maybe I should start a book review blog. Let me know if you would be interested.

Cassavaugh Family said...

OK that is funny! Now I wanna know what book it was. ;) Yes, please share your books, if you are willing. I LOVE browsing the bargain book section at B&N. Fortunately it is a 40 min drive to the closest one. We have a little home town bookstore here but its just not the same. I picked up Dan this HUGE 2" thick photo book of aircraft and history of aviation that we got him for Christmas. That thing must weigh 6 pounds. OK maybe 3, no 4. It was a only $5.97!! It is one of his favorites!

Katrina said...

One group is reading Crocodile on the Sandbank by Elizabeth Peters (that's the one I went for). I've only made it through the first chapter, and it's rather boring so far. Hopefully it gets a bit more interesting soon. The other group I'm in is reading Confessions of a Shopaholic this month. I read that one in the other group last month. It's a fun and easy read for when you don't really want to think very hard about anything.

I'm thinking a book review blog would be a fun idea. More reasons to stay up late "working" on my computer when I should really be in bed!

Cassavaugh Family said...

Cool idea! You would have plenty of background to provide lots of book reviews! :)