Monday, November 2, 2009

October Book Review


No, I didn't read a book about carving pumpkins. I just had to share my ghost and spider (Mom carved the one on the right) since making jack-o-lanterns is the one crafty thing I'm able to do without getting so frustrated I start swearing like a sailor. I went for simple this year because I was too sick to concentrate on anything more complicated, but I think they're rather cute. Now on to the books.

Catching Fire, by Suzanne Collins. I was going to try not to read this until the third book came out (next September!), but I gave up after a whole four days. I read it, and I read it all in one night. And then I couldn't sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it. Many times fiction is more truthful than fact, and this book is disturbing and fantastic and heart-breakingly honest. I only hope the third book doesn't disappoint me, although I'm still not sure how I want things to end. Good thing I have almost a whole year to figure that out.

Jane Austen Ruined My Life, by Beth Pattillo. One of the best book titles ever. What girl hasn't wasted at least a bit of time (maybe too much time) dreaming about her very own Mr. Darcy and then been disappointed when real life didn't turn out quite like Elizabeth's did? The story itself wasn't bad, but it didn't live up to the title. It did make me want to take a Jane Austen tour of England, but then, lots of things make me want to take trips to England.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I loved this book, and I hated saying good-bye to it when I finished. It's witty and charming, the characters are fabulous, and I wanted the story to go on forever. It's set on Guernsey just after World War II and describes how this literary society with a fantastic name was formed in the middle of the war, in the middle of the German occupation, and how the members of the society became a kind of family during the events that shaped their lives both during and after the war. Fair warning: I laughed out loud numerous times, but I also cried more than once. Isn't that what all good books should give you?

5 comments:

Becky said...

Potato Peel Society was a sweet little book. I think I may need to buy that one. I'm still anxiously awaiting to get Catching Fire from the library. Apparently the rest of the county is, too.

Jenny said...

I love the pumpkins. And I need to read all those books. Thanks for the recommendations!

Cassavaugh Family said...

So good to hear your review of the potato peel pie book. I started that and had to leave it - just too many other things occupying my time at that moment. I have wanted to go back to it as another friend recommended it. Love you review. Its for sure back on my list.

Pumpkin carving - not that is something I CAN'T do. I love your pumpkins!

Polly by Golly said...

Your are such a good reader. Wish I could read and remember like you can. I'm doing good to get through Sunday School lesson reading so I know what they are trying to teach us.:) We do have very good teachers. Love the pumpkins. Love you and have a good day and weekend

Mae said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Catching Fire!!! I liked it better than The Hunger Games, actually. And yes, sometimes fiction is very truthful. A little scary, don't you think?