Sunday, November 15, 2009

Payday

Before I say anything else, I have to say that I have a great job. Most of the time I like it, most of the time I think I'm pretty good at it, and most of the time I can see that something good will come from what I'm doing. Then there are times when it's just a job and I have a really hard time getting out of bed in the morning. The fact that it's way to early to be getting out of bed anyway (plus the fact that I have to put on a skirt once I do get out of bed) doesn't help, but normally I can get past that. Lately I've had more than a few of those just-a-job kind of days. But today my nephews had their Primary sacrament meeting presentation, and it was great. It had everything you expect from these sacrament meetings: kids forgetting their parts, kids yelling into the microphone, teachers trying to urge kids to sit down after singing, and the completely honest and heartfelt testimonies you only get from those who are still innocent enough to say what they really mean. The closing song was "How Firm a Foundation." As the kids belted out the first line, I got those spiritual chills and remembered why I go to work and why I'm so grateful for my job: I get to be a very small part in building that foundation, even if I never have kids of my own and even if I'm stuck in Relief Society for the rest of my life. That's the kind of payday that's worth a lot more than money, and it was just the kind of payday I needed.

1 comment:

Cassavaugh Family said...

I totally hear you on the job scene. I remember those feelings many times.

Primary programs are usually the best. I had a bad attitude about our program this year (being my 8th program in a row that I have either been the chorister or pianist). I was grateful for the little chills at one point during a beautiful harmony part that the girls did for us during the chorus of I Feel My Savior's Love. It reminded me of good things too. Great tender mercies.