This past week I tried to get tickets for two different concerts. Let me tell you how that went. First concert: U2 in Denver next year. I got my presale access code, clicked on a link at the appointed time, asked for two GA (on the field) tickets, and presto! I got instant confirmation that I had tickets, a few days later I got notification that they've been printed, and I should be getting them in the mail soon. Road trip, here I come (well, in about seven months).
Next concert: Tabernacle Choir Christmas concert. I sent in my registration for the ticket drawing during the appointed week. I checked my registration on the day they said I'd be able to see if I got tickets. "Check back three days later," the site said. Three days later, I checked back. "Check back in two days," said the site. Two days later I got a lovely e-mail informing me that I got no tickets but "here's a 20% off coupon for one of the choir's CDs." Wow, I didn't get free tickets, but now I have the opportunity to spend money on you. Um, no thanks. Not only did I not get tickets, but neither did my mom, and this is the third year in a row neither of us has been lucky in the "random" drawing. We've been able to get tickets from friends for the last two years, but I think I'm done begging. Yes, I know I could go wait in the stand-by line for the 5,000 empty seats that come from people who were lucky enough to get tickets but then decided it wasn't important enough to show up, but it's cold in December and by the time you get into the Conference Center you've missed the first 15 or 20 minutes of the concert anyway.
I'm no genius, but there's got to be a better way. I've decided that the Tab Choir needs a fan club. Then the people who really want to go to the concert and who will actually have the courtesy to show up after they get tickets will be able to get them. Bleh, sorry for the rant. I'm just frustrated. Although it's better to be frustrated with the choir than it would be to be frustrated with U2. Thank you, U2. So does anybody have any ideas for great Christmas concerts that are actually possible to get into without so much hassle?
5 comments:
Sorry my choir is disbanded. I thought we had nice (accessible) concerts. Hey, you can come to my ward and hear us sing in the choir at Christmas!
I miss your choir, Jenny! I always liked your concerts.
I didn't get Tab tickets and never have been selected to get any. Come to think of it, I didn't even get the 20% off coupon, either. If I can scrounge up a ticket for you, though, I'll let you know.
Bummer. Maybe you should let the Choir President Mac Christensen know of your frustrations. Maybe this random thing isn't working very good and he ought to be aware of it.:) It sounds to me like people take too many freebies they don't intend to use and that tain't right. OK have a good rest of the week. Love you
I miss your choir too, Jenny, for both Christmas and Thanksgiving. Your concerts were incredibly stress-free and incredibly good.
This reminds me of trying to get student football tickets at BYU many years ago after the larger stadium was built. Bigger stadium, more seats, bigger conference center, more seats. Still not enough. Hmm Well I am aware of a great Christmas concert but its not free.
http://www.voicemalemusic.com/
There are four concerts, Abravenel Hall, I think up at Weber, Thanksgiving point and Logan. Anyway, we love their music, the guys are great and most of all, I'm a true fan and wish I could go. My mission companion that taught Nick with me is married to one of the singers. Now if that isn't enough to convince you to try it out...I will send you more in an email.
Post a Comment