And you all thought I forgot. Well, I didn't. I just didn't read much new in December, so I thought I'd combine two months this time. For the record, The Sweet Smell of Christmas is my favorite Christmas book ever, and Prisoner of Azkaban is still my favorite Harry Potter book. Now on to the new stuff.
Big Russ and Me, by Tim Russert. This is one I don't think I ever would have picked up on my own, but it was the choice of the month for one of my book groups. If you're a fan of biographies, this is a good one. I enjoy books that show there are good people everywhere, just trying to do the best they can with the circumstances they've got, and Tim Russert's father is one of those people.
Austenland, by Shannon Hale. This book had a fun premise—well, fun for me, anyway, or for anyone who has found herself hopelessly in love with Mr. Darcy. However, I found myself thinking "This is silly" a few times, and not in a good silly kind of way. That being said, the conversation on page 19 is really quite fabulous; reading the whole book is worth it just for that page. So there's something you can check out on your next trip to your local B&N. Just stand there and pretend you're browsing, and try not to snort when you come to the line with "poop" in it.
Dear John, by Nicholas Sparks. Another book group suggestion. I like girly, romantic movies, but I've never been a fan of sappy love stories in book form. This one wasn't too sappy, but I think it would have been better if I had been reading it on a beach somewhere. It's that kind of book. I think I'll still watch the movie though; I do enjoy the chick flicks.
1 comment:
Thanks, I had forgotten about Big Russ and Me. When that came out I thought - Hey I want to read that. Years have passed. I was initially drawn to it because I really liked Tim and thought it could be interesting. Then I was very sad when he died unexpectedly. We were actually in NY not far from his hometown when it happened. So big news everywhere. I think I would also like to read his book that followed Big Russ. It is called Wisdom of Our Fathers. I'm going to have to add these to my goodreads - to read list.
Post a Comment