Thursday, February 25, 2010

What I Miss

Yep, that's me—a long, long time ago after my very first skating competition. It's been 19 years since I've really skated (public sessions at the rink don't count as really skating), but when I watch it on TV, it all comes back like I've never been gone. I remember becoming one with the music, the sound my blades make as they carve deep edges into the ice, the thrill of doing the perfect layback, and having the outrageous idea that I can defy gravity. Sonja Henie described it as "the wind splitting open to let you through . . . and an illusion of no longer having to move because movement is carrying you." Perfect. You'd think I would have gotten over it by now, but you'd be wrong. I guess after you've found something you love so much, after you've experienced the freedom and joy of flying—and experienced it so often when you're so young—you just never forget. And I don't ever want to forget, because it's an amazing feeling.

3 comments:

Cassavaugh Family said...

Ahh I love it! I have very fond memories of going to the rink to watch you. I also LOVED the trip to Sun Valley ID to watch a big competition. I also can't watch ice skating without thinking of you!

Jenny said...

Aw, you're so cute!!

Polly by Golly said...

oh Katrina, how I remember. I always thought you would be an Olympian. As I watch the skaters this year I have bee picturing you there. That's OK you have moved on to bigger and better things. And you have done well Love you