Friday, February 19, 2010

How Old?

I went skiing on Monday (which was a fabulous ski day, by the way). On one trip up the chair lift, I rode with a dude. Yes, a dude. That's really the only word to describe him. We were chatting a bit, and he asked me what school I had gone to. After I told him I had gone to the U, he asked, "No, what high school?" Really? What high school? OK, I played along and told him. But then he asked when I graduated. Um, 1995. "Oh," he said and then got very quiet for the rest of the ride up. Apparently I look like a 19-year-old in my goggles.

Oh, well, it could be worse. One of my co-workers, who is just a few years older than I am and doesn't look any older than she is, was buying clothes for her baby when a woman asked her if she was shopping for her granddaughter. I guess I should be happy I get mistaken for a teenager rather than a grandma. But still, sheesh.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Come now, you can't be a day over 21. And how old did this dude seem? Anyway, I may just have to start wearing goggles around as I have the opposite problem that you had and like your coworker get mistaken for being older than I am.

Cassavaugh Family said...

You know even today most people think I'm much younger than I am. It can be flattering at times. But there are times when I have wanted more credit for my years. ;)

OH and when I'm at the boy's schools it really is hard sometimes to know if you are seeing parents or grandparents or siblings dropping off and picking up kids. I just never ask!

Polly by Golly said...

That is so funny. People think I am in my 60's OH how I wish that would be true. But then I wouldn't have so many wonderful grandchildren and great's I'll accept this age Hey maybe you can get away with being a teenager and surprise people with all your knowledge :)