Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Thunderstorms and Raspberry Shakes

On a recent Friday night, a few friends and I headed up to Bear Lake for a quick camping trip. We got there, set up camp, had some dinner and some s'mores, enjoyed the fire, looked at the stars, and went to bed. And then at 5:00 in the morning we were rudely awakened by a ferocious thunderstorm going on outside our tent. It went on for a good hour but then decided to die down a bit. Just as we were all falling back asleep, a huge bit of thunder and lightning hit—and it hit hard. All of a sudden, we were all sitting straight up in bed, I had said a bad word or two, and we were silently praying we wouldn't die (except for Michelle, who was praying that she'd die quickly). Michelle and Becky took shelter in the bathroom, and I decided to wait it out in the tent, counting on the rubber in my air mattress to protect me from any electric charge. Hey, at least I was warm and dry. Thankfully, the storm went away and the whole sky cleared up so we could enjoy a beautiful day at the lake.

My feet loved the sunshine.
 Michelle tried to hide from the sunshine (crazy woman).
My brother just happened to be up there with his boat, so he took us for a ride that involved lots of laughing and squealing and swallowing of water. Thanks again, Richard!
I enjoyed my fresh raspberry shake. Mmm, raspberry shake.
And we risked hypothermia to enjoy the water some more.
Yep, great weekend getaway, even if we did almost die. It was totally worth it.

6 comments:

Jenny said...

Fun! I've never had a Bear Lake raspberry shake. Is it worth it?

Becky said...

That was a fun weekend and I'm glad we didn't get struck by lightning.
Jenny, a Bear Lake raspberry shake is quite worth it. It tastes even better when you're hot and tired after playing in the sun.

Katrina said...

Jenny, you've never had a Bear Lake raspberry shake? Yes, you must have one. From LeBeau's.

Nicole said...

Love those Bear Lake Raspberry shakes! We're new to the whole Bear Lake scene, so we hadn't figured out where find the best shakes. Good to know it's LeBeau's. Sounds like a fabulous little jaunt--even the thunderstorm part. Or especially the thunderstorm part.

Polly by Golly said...

glad you had fun and are home and safe I know you don't have to worry about such things but how many calories are in the Raspberry shakes oh for the days I didn't have to worry about such things :)

Katrina said...

Grandma, calories don't count on vacation. Besides, these shakes are healthy because they have raspberries in them, and raspberries are a fruit.