Sunday, September 29, 2013

Feeling Abandoned (but Getting Better)

So there I was in Chicago. It had just turned into my birthday, and I was having a fabulous time. Then I got a text message from my brother Richard telling me that he had gotten a job in Cedar City and their whole family was moving in three weeks. Worst birthday present ever. Richard's family is my family. He's the one I call if I need help with something. Megan is the sister I never had. And the boys—well, the boys are just too awesome for words. And they were moving three and a half hours away from me. OK, I know that doesn't sound like very far, but when you're used to having them so close, it's really far. No more date nights with my nephews while their mom and dad went on their date, no more snuggles on the couch, no more good-night stories and songs and hugs, no more ninja fights. No more hanging out with Megan or late night talks with Megan and Richard after the boys were in bed. No more big, crazy Sunday dinners at my mom's house. My family was leaving me!

And as hard as it was going to be for me, I knew it was going to be a lot harder for them; they were leaving everyone and everything (although at least they were getting an adventure out of it). I couldn't even think about talking about it with them because I'd start crying just trying to come up with something to say. I kept it together while I helped them pack and every time I saw them until the night before they left. And then I lost it. I gave all the boys hugs (really long hugs) before they went to bed. I was doing really well until Ethan said, "I'll miss you, Trina." And then I was gone for the rest of the night. I bawled my way through saying good-bye to each of them, then I bawled all the way home, and then I cried some more just for good measure. And the next day wasn't much better.

And it didn't get better until I finally got to go visit them two weeks ago—a whole month after they moved. But I got to see them again, talk to them in person, see their house and go to the park and play games, and realize that they really were still alive and well. I still miss them terribly and yes, it's a drive to get there, but it's a doable drive. And it's totally worth it when you get fabulous hugs from the four greatest nephews on the planet. It's so nice to be loved.


1 comment:

Jenny said...

That's hard! I really miss my two brothers and their families who live out of state. When we see them it's almost harder when they leave again! I've started texting my nephew and nieces to keep in touch (and to just be silly). :) Hang in there!