Saturday, April 19, 2014

Tracking Myself

A few weeks ago I got a new toy: a Fitbit. It's great; it tracks the number of steps I take, the miles I walk, how long I'm active, and how much I sleep. And it flashes and vibrates happily when I meet my daily goal of 10,000 steps. I got it mostly because I was curious and I thought it would be fun to see just how much physical activity I actually get in a day. Here are a few things I've learned:
  • When I get two fitness classes in during a day (or one and a half, or one and a choreo session at home, or just one if I'm teaching), I really don't have to worry about having a Slurpee and those extra peanut butter cups. I'm definitely burning enough calories to cover it. Yay! And when I run a Spartan, dude, I can eat anything I want.
  • I really don't move very much at my job. I already knew that, but it's kind of alarming to see in brightly colored graphics the evidence that I sit a lot. I've started taking the long way to the bathroom just to try and compensate.
  • I also really don't do anything on Sunday. No wonder Sundays stink. That's probably one of the reasons Mondays stink too (one of many).
  • I do not get enough sleep. OK, I knew this already too, but here's another thing that was rather scary to see evidence of. I'm lucky if I get five hours a night on a weeknight. But I'll sleep when I'm dead, right?
So it's fun—and it's a good way to feed my competitiveness because I can compete against myself. And here's picture of my most active day yet: the Las Vegas Spartan. Yeah, baby.

No comments: