Thursday, September 4, 2008

A Bit of Back-to-School Jealousy

Between taking my baby brother to college, having my mom go back to college to finish her degree (which I interrupted when I came into the world—go Mom!), and seeing pictures of my nephews and cousins on their first day of school, I've been feeling a bit jealous. I always liked going back to school. Yes, even in high school. I'm weird. It meant that I got to see friends I hadn't seen all summer and start a new adventure. Most of the time the adventure didn't turn out quite the way I had planned—I never went back and found myself suddenly popular, for example—but the possibility was always there. It was the anticipation that I loved most. Anything is possible on the first day of school. It's one of the reasons Christmas Eve, not Christmas, is my favorite holiday. There's the possibility that magic can happen, and even if it doesn't, you never stop believing that it can.

Of course, school also meant homework and tests and much less time to run around barefoot outside—that's why I'm only a bit jealous. I still don't have much time to run around barefoot outside, but at least I don't have to worry about homework.

3 comments:

Cassavaugh Family said...

Interesting perspective. I have never thought of the anticipation as the part being the most exciting but I am going to agree with you. So do you think that kids today aren't given as much opportunity to learn to anticipate because we give them so much and they just expect? Hmmmm I'm going to be thinking about this for awhile.

meg 'n' rich said...

Hey, you know if you want that thrill back in your life, you could go finish up my bachelor's or if your super ambitious, you could go for a master's.... Yeah, I didn't think you missed it THAT much!! LOL

xunil2 said...

Come to the Dark Side, Young Katrina . . . join us . . . get your PhD and feel the power of the Dark Side of the Force. Feel the lack of cash which will haunt you all your days! BWAHHAHA

Seriously, though, you can still go back to school. Then you can get a job at a University and feel that back-to-school feeling every year.