"Dream up the kind of world you want to live in. Dream out loud, at high volume." —Bono
Monday, June 1, 2009
Things That Make Me Feel Old
Jonathan had his mission "farewell" yesterday. It finally hit me that he's really leaving in just over a week, and on top of wondering what I was going to do without his random texts in the middle of the day and his playing U2 and Jon Schmidt on the piano whenever we're at Mom's house and the overflowing joy he brings into my life, I suddenly felt really old. Nobody I taught when he was a 6-year-old in Primary should be old enough to go on a mission, even if he is technically 19. Charlie, who was in that same class of 6-year-olds, came over to Mom's house after church. I've seen Jonathan grow up, so the change was gradual enough not to shock me into old age, but Charlie is now suddenly 6'3" and getting ready to send in his own mission papers. Yikes! Then, while we were eating, I overheard somebody tell my 7-year-old nephew that it wouldn't be long before he was leaving on his mission. Wait a minute! Let's just let him be a kid and enjoy what a great kid he is before we send him off, shall we? I am glad that I didn't let too many chances to enjoy Jonathan's growing-up years pass me by, and it was fun to experience a lot of those years through "adult" eyes, but I still don't think I'm old enough to take my baby brother to the MTC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Heavy sigh! It just gets worse from here! Although my children are much younger than most friends my age (which helps the age warp) its hard to see friends my age celebrate 25th wedding anniversaries and grandchildren. UGH I'm so not there yet even though old enough, and I think there is a reason. I enjoy pretending I'm younger than I am. :) It hit me that Jonathan was 6 not that long ago as well. Nick's little sister was almost 8 when we got married - now she has a masters degree and is advising and supporting us with Sam's ASD. WOW. Time goes WAY too fast! And when did you grow up? I swear we were looking for rocks to paint just the other day...
Let's at least get Carter baptized before we start talking about his mission! It is one thing to watch kids grow up into adults, it's true, but quite another to reunite with someone you knew as a teenager 15 years ago. I have recently become friends with a lot of my old young women from North Ogden, and one of Dave's Varsity Scouts is now an orthepedic dr. here in IF. WOW, time warp!!!
Oh, and Sarah, Steven's oldest sister is about your age. That felt weird to me.
Post a Comment