The Great Typo Hunt, by Jeff Deck and Benjamin Herson. Here's another one for all the editors out there—and probably just for the editors out there. These two guys form the Typo Eradication Advancement League and take a road trip around the United States fixing typos—deleting superfluous apostrophes and commas, correcting spelling, and basically having a wonderful time. Yes, really, that's all. And it's fabulous. A little drama comes into the story when they get arrested for fixing a sign at the Grand Canyon, but that's not what's most important. As Jeff Deck (my new hero, by the way) says, "I wanted to change the world somehow, but editing was all I had." You go, dude!
Eat, Pray, Love, by Elizabeth Gilbert. I read this one because I wanted to see the movie, but I can't see a movie based on a book unless I read the book first. I'm weird that way. Anyway, it was a good book—not fantastic, but good. I had heard that it's a good book for divorced women only, but I think that's only true of the last third and other little bits here and there. I quite enjoyed the Italy and India sections, but maybe that's because I'd love to leave everything behind for a little while to go away and find myself. Well, kind of. Actually, I'd just like to have the opportunity to immerse myself in another culture for a few months (preferably somewhere in the British Isles or the South Pacific). And I need to go to Naples to find the margherita pizza that apparently is a transcendent experience.
No comments:
Post a Comment