Friday, November 19, 2010

Pit Stops

On the way to California last month, the check engine light in my car came on when we were about 30 miles outside of Las Vegas. We had left St. George really early that morning because we wanted to get in as many hours as possible at the happiest place on earth. Dang. Now what to do? Since we didn't want to get stuck in the middle of the desert, we pulled off the road and found a repair shop that opened at 7:00. While everybody else walked across the street to get some breakfast, I sat in the shop and worried that I had ruined the trip and that we'd be stuck in Vegas for three days. Thankfully, it was nothing that couldn't wait to be fixed until we got home, so we were on our way—and only two hours late.

Then the next week, on our way up to Yellowstone, my mom's car got a flat tire just outside the thriving metropolis of Rigby. Dang again. (By the way, I think this may have been a sign: You don't have to take a road trip every weekend.) Thankfully, some strapping young men had seen the blowout and decided to pull over and help us change the tire. Also thankfully, my mom's car has a full-size spare, so we didn't have to worry about driving on a dinky doughnut. Soon enough, we were on our way again and all was well.

Sometimes I feel like I'm stuck at a pit stop in my life. I'm just waiting at a smelly repair shop outside Vegas or on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere, I don't want to be there, and I'm not quite sure what to do next. I know there's something fantastic waiting for me if I can get back on the road, but for now, I'm just stuck. Thankfully, pit stops don't last forever and they usually tend to make the destination—once you finally get there—that much sweeter.

3 comments:

Polly by Golly said...

;You always see the good side of things and make them interesting I am expecting a book sometime written by Katrina Cannon :) :)

Nicole said...

I've been thinking about your post for a couple of days, Katrina, and I'm not quite sure what to make of it--hope I'm not misreading. Here's the deal--I think you've got a SWEET life, even though you may not be exactly where you want to be right now. I think I'd compare it to being in England when you'd rather be in Ireland...or maybe Knott's Berry Farm when you'd rather be in Disneyland: SPLENDID places that you can make the most of even though you'd like to be somewhere else. A smelly pit stop?! Heavens, no!

Katrina said...

Yes, I really do have a sweet life. The pit stop was just temporary (I think the lack of daylight was getting to me). I'm back on the road now and loving it.