Sunday, December 30, 2012

My Latest Bout of Insanity

I may be taking my pre-midlife crisis to a whole new level. Yesterday, after a few months of prodding from some Zumba buddies, I signed up for a Spartan race. What is a Spartan race? It's 10–12 miles long, with about 20 obstacles built in to the course. They don't tell you exactly how long it is or exactly what the obstacles will be because they want you to be surprised. Umm, yeah, I might die. But if I do, I'll go out on a high. See, I still have no desire to run a marathon, or even a half marathon, because running is the most boring thing one could ever spend time doing. But I figure in this race, I'll never be running straight for more than a mile at a time, and I can totally do that. And some of the obstacles involve rolling around in mud, so that'll be fun. And it will give me some serious motivation to improve my upper-body strength—I can squat and lunge with the best of them, but my arms are sad, puny little things. And we have a pretty good team, so there's lots of support; even if I die, I won't be alone.

But the thing that really pushed me into this was a friend telling me that we're not getting any younger, so if I ever wanted to do something crazy like this, now was the time. (She can get away with saying that because she's a whole two years older than I am.) She's right. Now is the time to be crazy. And really, signing up for something that will motivate me to get in better shape and stop eating Hershey's kisses and M&Ms for lunch has got to be better than running away to Vegas, right? Oy. It's June 29. You'll get a full report, even if I decide to skip the race and run away to Vegas instead.

1 comment:

Polly by Golly said...

I am sure you and Richard have different genes than ;your Father. :) Oh maybe a little of your Father. This race seems crazy I have seen them on TV and I think ugh Mud. Well if you decide to run away to Vegas call Camille. Have fun preparing for the race :)