Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Disneyland Food Cravings

One of my friends and my brother's family are in California this week, having fun in Disneyland. This is not good for me and my jealousy. There are lots of reasons to wish I was in Disneyland—it is the happiest place on earth, and I could be running around in mouse ears pretending I'm still a kid, not caring about anything but whether I should go for Splash Mountain or Space Mountain or Indiana Jones or Soarin' or the teacups next, and I could be looking forward to a day at the beach (and as Megan so kindly reminded me, if you're in her family, you get to live next to the beach—whatever). But along with all that, what I'm really craving this week are churros and Dole pineapple whips. Yes, I know you can get churros at your local grocery store, but they taste so much better when you're at Disneyland sitting with people you love, waiting for Fantasmic to start, and feeling the breeze coming off the Rivers of America. Pineapple whips, on the other hand, are not available at any local grocery store. You can only get those at the Dole pineapple plantation in Hawaii or at a little stand right outside the entrance to the Tiki Room, both of which are worth a visit, even if all you do is eat. I'm convinced that pineapple whips are what they'll serve in heaven. I've also decided that you should never fall in love with a food that isn't available within about an hour's drive of where you live.

2 comments:

Cassavaugh Family said...

OK so describe a pineapple whip to me! I love pineapple so I'm sure I would like it. I have never been to Hawaii and the last time I was in Disneyland was um before your dad went on his mission - yup LONG time ago. Lets see, can I count that high? I feel stupid because I had to look up churros on the internet. Never had those either. So. . . YES its true I had a deprived childhood. :) My mom hasn't heard that one in awhile.

Becky said...

Oh, thanks a lot. I'm salivating. I don't need much prompting to get a pineapple whip craving. I do so love it. Mmmmmmm . . .
Don't forget Disneyland popcorn. Now, you can certainly have better popcorn at home, but you can't eat it while watching the Electric Parade.