I finally got a calling in my ward last week. Yes, finally is the right word. I've been here for over a year, for crying out loud, and it's not like I'm inactive. I had decided that I was going to be a permanent visitor forever and that I should just accept it. Then I complained to my bishop when I went in for tithing settlement. Now I'm the assistant focus group leader in Relief Society. Does that sound like a made-up calling? Yeah, I thought so too. But then I learned that there are people whose calling is to be in the library for one week a month. I guess my bishopric has decided that it's better for everyone to have a calling than for people to get lost in the shuffle. I can't argue with that. I had substituted in Primary the two weeks before I got my calling, and I was thinking I might ask the Primary president if I could just be a permanent substitute. Permanent substitute is better than permanent visitor, and the kids are wonderful and like me for who I am, not for whether or not I'm married with children. The feeling I get from some people (and, if I'm honest, from myself on my worst days) that I'm only half a person without a husband probably won't change, but at least I can be an actual member of the ward now.
And now the pity party is over; I'll go back to my regularly-scheduled life. And gosh darn it, I'm going to be the best assistant focus group leader there ever was. :)
6 comments:
Good for you. Now may I ask... What in the world does an assistant focus group leader do?? Whatever it is, I'm sure you'll be fabulous at it!
Yes, I have the same question. Does it relate to newer enrichment style and doing focus groups instead of the ever typical crafty enrichments? I quickly forget how different things are in Utah for callings. OH and I must also say that when we lived in Utah and had no children we were treated no differently. NO CHILDREN!! We were labeled "odd" "backward" etc. THEN we thought we thought outside Utah will be different and we arrived with a new child so now we have arrived. Umm well its generally better but guess what, when people found out how OLD I am and how LONG we had been married I then started to get "how come you don't have 6 kids by now? Maybe there should be a focus group on enriching ones perspective in life!
BTW - I LOVE the WHOLE Katrina that I know. :)
That's the attitude I wish more people had. I am trying to be the best darn Ward Historian in the Church. Which is rather difficult because I am dependent on other people doing their jobs! I would like it if our "focus group" people actually did something, anything! BTW- I have a friend that has lived in the same place for nearly 30 years. She had been in the RS Presidency. When it was changed she was released and didnt get another calling for a year and a half! Eventually it became a game to see how long she could go without a calling!
Congratulations on your calling and I commend you for you attitude. I'm sure you will be a fabulous assistant focus group leader. I, on the other hand, am doing an awful job in my calling and really wouldn't mind being released . . .
Yeah! I know a calling can definetly make you feel more a part of the ward. This just made me realize I haven't had a calling in over 6 months and I don't miss it! Although, I don't feel a part of the ward either, but that is ok because we won't be here much longer. I'm kind of dreading getting a nursery calling in our new ward. Not because I wouldn't enjoy nursery, but because we have two babies we are trying to keep healthy!
Congrats on the new calling Katrina! I must admit... I've never heard of an assistant focus group leader but I'm sure you'll be amazing!
Post a Comment