Saturday, January 24, 2009

Shoulda Been a Rock Star

I usually enjoy my job quite a lot, but this week it's been incredibly frustrating. Between that and everyone else in my family having life-changing events this year, I've been thinking way too much about what my life is lacking. There's a part in You've Got Mail that I've always thought was written about me: "Sometimes I wonder about my life. I lead a small life. Well, valuable, but small. And sometimes I wonder, do I do it because I like it or because I haven't been brave? So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

Even though most of the time I'm happy with my life, I do sometimes wonder what would have happened if I had been a bit braver when I was younger. I was watching Nationals (figure skating for those of you who didn't grow up with only one meaning for the word "Nationals") this afternoon, and someone skated to the same music I once skated to. It's amazing how quickly everything came back, first all my choreography and then so much more—the feel of the wind rushing through my hair as I flew around the rink, the thrill of doing the perfect layback, the sound of my blades carving edges into the ice, and just the joy of it all. I have no illusions about what I would have accomplished in the skating world had I stayed with it. I was never going to be good enough to go to the Olympics, but sometimes I wonder how my life would have been different if I hadn't quit when I did.

And what would have happened if I had been brave enough to move to New York after I graduated from college? Megan was all ready to go with me, so I wouldn't have even had to go alone. I guess I'm just too much of a homebody, which I suppose isn't always a bad thing. I do wish I had figured out how to be a roadie for one particular rock band. Seeing a different city every few days and spending my nights jumping up and down like a lunatic sounds like a fantastic life. Last week I played Rock Band on the Wii for the first time. If I stick with the easy mode, I'm quite the lead guitarist. I'm also a very accomplished head-banger. What's more, I can do both at once. Now that's talent. Yep, shoulda been a rock star.

3 comments:

Cassavaugh Family said...

You would have to change your name to be a rock star. Katrina the rock star, hmmm I guess there was Katrina and the waves?? I would love to see you head banging and doing lead guitar!! Can I come watch you be a rock star in June?

Anyway, isn't is interesting how we sometimes wonder how different life would have been if only. . . I have a long list of those I wonder. Although I don't regret any of my BIG decisions in life, the one I think about most is, what if we had stayed in Utah for grad school and I stayed working for IHC. MAN we would have a lot more money than we do now! But it wasn't the right decision so I then tuck it away for awhile, until I pay the bills next. :)

Becky said...

Katrina, I know this post is on your blog, but I actually think I wrote it. Well, except that I never figure skated and have no rock star aspirations (though I did have musician-ish dreams). I completely sympathize.

meg 'n' rich said...

Love you. That's all. Just Love ya to bits.
-Oh, plus you could still move to New York. I may not be able to move with you this time, but I can PROMISE Rich and I would come visit regularly!!

-Oh, and plus, plus, I'm gonna start brainstorming on making this a year with a life changing event for you, too. I'll get back to you on that one. :)